Skip to main content | Go to site map | Read our accessibility commitment

General information on tax aspects

Why do we need your declaration of eligibility for benefits under a tax treaty?

Non residents of Canada including U.S. residents
Beginning in 2012, the Canada Revenue Agency has introduced new rules requiring residents of any country with which Canada has a tax treaty to certify that they reside in that country and are eligible to have Canadian non-resident tax withheld on the payment of their dividends at the tax treaty rate. Registered shareholders should have completed the Declaration of Eligibility for Benefits under a Tax Treaty for a Non-Resident Taxpayer and returned it to the transfer agent.



­ ­