- Regulatory information
- Interface Disclosures
- Stand-alone residential services
- MDU agreements
- New area codes
- Public key infrastructure
What are the new area codes in Canada?
New area codes will be introduced gradually in the following regions.
|Region||Current area code(s)||
New area codes and
|New Brunswick||506||428||August 13 and November 21, 2020|
What this means for you
Introducing a new area code in a region already served by another code creates only minor changes.
- Only new phone numbers are affected by the addition.
- Existing phone numbers keep the same area code and are not changed in any way.
- Local calling areas remain the same.
- The 9-1-1 emergency number remains a three-digit number throughout the area.
Why new area codes are needed
The introduction of new area codes is the result of decisions by the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) in response to the increased demand for communications services. New area codes allow for the creation of millions of new phone numbers.
For more information, visit www.newareacodes.ca.